Pages

Sunday, 8 April 2012

Decorative Patterns

I was particularly attracted to the decorative patterns around The John Ryland Library.  These included:
  • Carved stone ceilings and banisters
  • Stain glass windows
  • Manuscripts ornate illustrations and typography
  • Old book cover designs

The talk by Adam Dant was inspiring as he used architectural patterns to create attractive borders for his illustrations. I like Dant’s style of work: Very dense, elaborate drawings with a thoroughly researched logic behind them. Similarly in my project, I will focus on the idea of patterns within a place, gathering ideas from the cities resources.
"Royal Drinking",2010
Ink on paper
Dant has created a distinct contrast by edging delicate ink drawings with bold colourful motifs.

"The Library of Congress", 2010,
Ink and gold leaf on paper
The gold leaf embellishments complement the elaborate buildings and offer a sense of grandeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment