Pages

Monday, 4 March 2013

Textile Archive: Laser-cut Designs


I drew new diamond compositions based on the geometric, symmetrical pattern of Gemstones, in particular the round diamond. These were traced in illustrator and laser-cut for precise edges, and could be layered together to create intricate, clear-cut designs.

Selected designs

I designed these circular motifs as individual shapes and laser-cut sections within the fabric, giving me the freedom to combine and rearrange these corresponding elements.  The circles appear neat and well balanced, and maintain this sense of harmony when rotated and placed over each other. 






 

Rejected Design 

Straight, square edges were restricting since the design felt ‘boxed in’ and restrained. Also, too many shapes were cut out within the area, leaving the insubstantial, fragile fabric for embroidery. 




Incomplete Design

Main diamond looks very predictable and the designs uneven edge means it would not repeat as successfully as the regular circle and square shapes.

1 comment:

  1. Your Blog are very cool! I don't suppose I have read something similar to this before. So nice to search out somebody with authentic applying for grants this subject. I really appreciate starting this up.
    Laser Cut Designs

    ReplyDelete