To progress my original concept, I created unique scarf designs intended for sophisticated and smart-casual wear. However, this neckwear would only appeal to a specific taste, and some fabrics may not look attractive placed over garments as they appear in the illustrations.
Outfits Featuring
my Scarf Designs
Consequently I have pursued a
lingerie collection: I applied my patterns to basic camisole sets and designed
an eye-catching range of knickers to show how my fabrics can be successfully
combined and manipulated into decorative products. Silk robes would display my
prints clearly due to their simple designs and a large surface area.
Traditional Chinese kimonos are very striking, combining bold patterns with
rich colours. Similarly, the contemporary handcrafted ‘Disco’ kimono by Trust
Fun features extravagant draped sleeves with an abstract digital print. The
idea of striking, overstated areas could be explored in my own robe designs.
![]() |
| Camisole set |
![]() |
| Knicker Designs |
![]() |
Trust Fun
'Disco Kimono'
|

Furthermore, I produced a nightdress to display my fabric as a finished product, which required consideration of how the print fits within a specific area. I increased the design repeat to cover a larger section, and reduced its scale for the neckline, which is also an appropriate size for underwear. With limited dressmaking skills it was a challenge to construct the garment; therefore I should research construction techniques in order to improve the quality and my own understanding. Elaborate embellishments were added such as frilled edging using the Bernina ruffling foot; however this caused problems due to an inappropriate combination of materials as a lighter ribbon around the neckline would suit the sheer fabric better. More sampling and testing is needed into decorative finishes, for instance the industrial omni-stitch machine would offer a free-motion approach to couching ribbons and cords.
These handmade items are still suitable for the Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair. Exhibitors sell screen-printed products and intricately patterned silk scarf designs; however a lingerie collection will offer a new product range. I envisage my stall as a luxury boudoir with white vintage furniture and a variety of cabinets and wall hooks displaying the collection. This would create an attractive, elegant space to express the type of product, although additional requirements such as mannequins or a floor length mirror highlights the issue of limited space. Alternatively, the stall could be more minimal: examples of the product range alongside fabric samples, presenting the idea of bespoke pieces to commission. Researching comparative products shows that handmade lingerie is very expensive due to the quality of fabric and luxurious designs, with products ranging from around £50 to easily over £100 (Companies such as www.aliceandastrid.com and www.foxandrose.com.) Therefore, I could produce smaller, cheeper accessories to compliment the collection, including padded coat hangers, eye masks and scented drawer sachets. My heart-shaped lavender bag utilised spare material from the dress, and would be very appealing as a set or gift boxed.
![]() |
| Craft Stall Ideas |
![]() |
![]() |
| Gift set Idea |
| Scented Heart Sachet |
![]() |
| Back View |



+copy.jpg)












No comments:
Post a Comment