Pages

Thursday, 1 December 2011

The Knitting and Stitching Show: Harrogate

The perfect place for inspiration, showcasing textile artists and graduates work:
Karen Woods, Embroidered Print
 
 
 
The elaborate design has been refined with machine embroidery, resulting in an attractive, detailed pattern. I like the idea of combining techniques by stitching onto a coloured, printed surface.









Knitted Neckpiece
 




This neckpiece is a good example of experimental, sculptural knit, rather than it being just a flat surface. In my knit workshop, I could manipulate the constructed fabric into 3D structures. Also, introducing other materials into the piece would add texture and form, like these filled pockets that create supple swellings.






Sian Martin, "Family Ties"





I was drawn to this artist’s inventive use of material: assorted layers of paper have been sewn together with structural lines. There is a sense of fragility due to the thin material connected by delicate threads, yet overall the repetition of block square shapes creates a bold, geometric hanging.








Hand-knitting Workshop


I learnt to cast on and off and to perform knit and purl stitches. Being my first attempt, the plain sample is nothing spectacular; however it is useful to learn these basic techniques which I will develop on the knitting machines in my next workshop.



No comments:

Post a Comment