Pages

Monday, 30 January 2012

Improved Knit Samples

The main weakness of my previous samples was a failure to represent what I observed in the photograph. Colour proportions were improved by simplifying the image into a series of abstract compositions, and planning the sample structure before knitting. The buildings glass windows and metal scaffolding was depicted using smoother, glossy fibres. Although attaining appropriate surface qualities often required combining two yarns together; for example thin Rayon thread offered a reflective shine, alongside thicker weight yarn to provide a dense section of colour. 
Planning Samples in Sketchbook
I experimented with the machines hold function to knit separate vertical columns, allowing me to create blocks of different colours and patterns. Hand sewing the sections together afterwards was extremely time-consuming; however the completed piece looks effective as the dense satin stitch mimics tubular scaffolding bars. 
Unfinsihed Piece
Hand Stitched Together
Sarah Morris provided inspiration with her paintings of bold geometric shapes intersected by striking lines: Similarly, my developed knits are structured and orderly in appearance. To progress further, I would design my own punchcard pattern to achieve more complex overlapping lines. 

 Sarah Morris "2905 (Bejing)" 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment