Pages

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Construction Cut-outs

I advanced the cut-out technique into more complex designs, originating from photographs of construction sites which feature intersecting scaffolding structures. These are stylised and abstract as I focused on the angular geometric shapes within the image. The designs look effective since repeated motifs can be identified within an overall interlocking pattern, which combines thin intricate lines with larger sections. Sarah Morris inspired this idea of geometric abstraction as she removes figurative elements by reducing her subject into a dynamic network of lines and shapes.
Sarah Morris, “Reflecting Pool”, 2001
Gloss Household Paint on Canvas
Likewise I chose to have striking white designs with bold sections of colour which I selected from specific photographs. Coordinating background shades with the cut out design was time-consuming and difficult to assemble accurately. Although covering the finished piece in PVA glue enhanced the colours and provided a smooth finish.
Colour Inspiration
Coloured Paper Cut-Out
























I progressed from plain colour to integrating magazine text and images: this made the design less prominent yet introduced another layer of detail by adding intermittent shades and patterns. For Further development, I could raise the cut-out onto a thicker surface or try more adventurous material relevant to construction sites: for instance, Laser-cutting designs into coloured plastic and metal would possess the solid, hardwearing quality of building materials.
Colour Inspiration
Coloured Paper and
Magazine Cut-Out

No comments:

Post a Comment