Pages

Sunday, 19 February 2012

Screen-Prints

Dye Print on Silk

My screen-print consists of two precise, clear-cut drawings that interlock to form a detailed image. I experimented with alternative colour schemes based on my photographs, and chose to combine multiple shades, similar to my collage and cut-out work, by printing sections individually.  I preferred using pigments as these had bold, distinct shades whereas the dyes produced more unpredictable colours which tended to fade or bleed after the finishing process. Dye achieved a vibrant print onto white silk however the delicate, flowing fabric is unsuitable for robust construction sites.




I preferred plain cotton backgrounds on which bright primary hues where complimented with neutral tones of grey and black. However there was a danger of overexerting colour and layering so the design was overly complicated, counteracting the simple shapes within. The flock and foil finishes look effective: the added shine resembles reflective metal structures and textured flock provides a raised surface similar to mesh fencing and railings in front of the building sites.

Colour Inspiration
Pigment on Acetate Lining
with Flock and Foil

























To improve, I would layer my designs in alternative ways, for example offsetting or rotating the images so they intentionally did not align. Most prints remain within the A4 boundary of the initial design, although I begun experimenting by repeating block sections and altering the positioning as if reforming the building structure. This idea was most successful and could be extended further, as a large asymmetric shape was created from the series of smaller geometric patterns. Moreover, there is the potential to contrast built up areas with minimal, simple ones as my prints are complex all over. 

Standard Print on Cotton Mesh
Repeating Print in Block Sections

No comments:

Post a Comment