Pages

Friday, 1 February 2013

Initial Research: Industrial Revolution


My theme developed from the word History: I decided to focus on the Industrial Revolution as this was significant in Manchester, being the world’s first industrial city.


The Facts: Peoples History Museum
The industrial revolution was a period of great change and transformation. The exhibition emphasized how colour is historically used to represent ideas:

Red – Courage, revolution
Green – Reform
Blue – Loyalty
Purple – Dignity
Pink – Peace, Prosperity
White – Purity
Gold – Ambition


Design Inspiration: Museum of Science and Industry
Manchester was the largest centre for cotton textile production in the world. I photographed textile machinery since the layers of different mechanisms with small, intricate parts are ideas for design motifs. The machines are advanced and specialised which will be reflected in my work with elaborate and complex imagery. 

 


















 
Machine Diagrams: I like these precise line drawings which appear technical and detailed. I could use clear cut geometric lines and shapes to create the same qualities. I also looked at the structure of fabrics as these have interlocking patterns and arrangements.

Knitted Structures





No comments:

Post a Comment