Pages

Friday, 1 February 2013

Design Influences


Colour and Pattern: Indian textiles 

Manchester imported cotton from plantations in India, and cultural Indian fabrics became highly sought after by British Customers. I love the rich, bright colours of Indian textiles and stunningly decorative floral designs such as the paisley. 

 















Surface and Texture: Ancient Coins

The Industrial Revolution resulted in Manchester becoming a wealthy city, as it made a lot of money from the textile trade. I intend to use metallic colours gold, bronze and silver to portray the idea of riches and resemble the metal machine parts.  I like the raised, embossed surface design on coins and how intricate details are enclosed within a small circle, which could be interpreted by layering raised, textured materials.  


 




















Artist Research: El Anatsui

Anatsui creates magnificent wall sculptures by flattening and stitching together thousands of aluminium bottle tops. I was attracted to the use of metal as the found objects have their own patterning which adds elements of detail when viewed up close.  Also the many small parts linked together are similar to machinery components. The shiny, reflective surface alongside sections of bold, striking colours looks effective and has an opulent feel.
In The World But Dont Know The World, 2009










No comments:

Post a Comment