Pages

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Locating: Project Evaluation


This project involved a new method of working since we needed to address multiple live briefs within a time-scale. I engaged with each project separately, completing one before moving onto another: this meant I could focus fully on developing and resolving my ideas without feeling overwhelmed and distracted by alternating between different projects. However, I could have organised my time better, setting my own deadlines to prevent getting carried away in one area. I should have spent longer exploring the possibilities with fabric, which was more successful than my initial drawings.  Also, I only managed to achieve three embroidered samples for the Bradford Textile Archive, so could have attempted quicker, less intricate pieces or created smaller sections of an overall design. Using Photoshop was beneficial as a quick method of generating patterns, and presents the idea of photocopying my work to layer and rearrange before using the sewing machine. 


 Alternative methods of generating designs

The projects chosen showed I pushed myself to explore a variety of approaches, rather than staying within my comfort zone.  I addressed both short and long tasks, which kept ideas flowing and the project moving.  Urban Outfitters and Clothworkers’ Award were very open with complete freedom to produce an outcome, whereas MMU Bag Design and Textile Archive Award had specific requirements which directed my work. I attempted different mediums, beginning with mixed-media drawings and collages on paper and moving onto fabric embroideries. Furthermore, the tasks were all for separate contexts: An exhibition space, promotional material, and interior furnishings, which meant I needed to consider suitability of the design and practicalities. 

 
















Project briefs for different contexts
It helped to establish a main theme to the project, the Industrial Revolution: this starting point was developed in various ways, with fresh inspiration added to produce a diverse set of results. Yet there are reoccurring motifs, such as circular and ornate flowing shapes, and use of similar embroidery techniques and laser-cut designs. To improve, I could have reflected more on what elements were successful or not before starting another sample as sometimes I repeated mistakes, for instance over-working a piece or laser-cutting material that frayed and was difficult to manipulate. 

 
















Similar motifs shared across briefs
Translated using different materials

No comments:

Post a Comment