I began investigating the pleats and folds of a half open parasol. I started with drawings, observing the subject at different angles, and then machine embroidered a sample of the outer section. I used blue shades of fabric as it suggested fluid ripples in the parasol by resembling moving water.
 |
| Pencil Drawings (Sketchbook) |
 |
| Watercolour Pencil (Sketchbook) |
 |
Embellished & Stitched Fabric,
Pleated with Wooden Skewers |
|
I also considered the change in form between an open and closed parasol: attempting to imitate this action by allowing the fabric to be either gathered or flattened. However, lack of tension in the fabric the two outcomes are not contrasting enough, with the material needing to be pulled and held taught. The rich colour palette extracted from bold retro prints and I introduced sheer, lustrous fabrics to offer a lightweight quality.
 |
Embellished Fabric
with Pintucks & Wooden Skewers |
 |
| Fabric gathered across top |
|
|
|
|
 |
Vanessa Mooncie
"Tightrope Artist with Parasol" |
Finally I explored the fully open parasol shape in this circular machine embroidery. My initial drawings were a method of visualising ideas, and I progressed from the tissue paper collage into using an array of fabric in lush green, earthy tones.
 |
| Biro & Pencil (Sketchbook) |
 |
| Tissue Paper Collage (Sketchbook) |
 |
Embellished & Stitched Fabric,
with wire cording,Wooden Skewers & Beads |
No comments:
Post a Comment